COVID-19: Taraba Task force rearrests positive female patient

Taraba State COVID-19 task force committee has rearrested one Mrs. Talatu Idris, one of the eight index cases in the state who escaped from the isolation centre in Sibre a few days ago.

Commissioner for Health in the state, Dr. Innocent Vakkai, who disclosed this yesterday at a press briefing in Jalingo, said that the other seven cases were stable and receiving treatment while awaiting further testing tomorrow and then on Friday, to ascertain their status.

Vakkai said the state government was still waiting to acquire mobile testing kits before it could commence the testing of almajiris in the state before they would be returned to their respective states of origin.

Vakkai also noted that the state would not accept any almajiri unless they were accompanied by government officials from the originating state.

On the confusion surrounding the status of the lockdown order in the state, Vakkai said the government order was still in place and anyone who flouted the order would be tried by the mobile courts and sanctioned appropriately.

He said the state government had reinforced the security at the isolation centre while tracing of persons who may have had contact with the escapee had commenced in earnest.

Meanwhile, the Niger State Task force on COVID-19 yesterday whisked a middle-aged man, identified as Mallam Yunusa Idris, to one of its isolation centres.

Yunusa, who sneaked into Zumba community in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State from Kano last week, was a driver to a former staff of the Segmentary National Control Center (SNCC), Engineer Mohammed Gumel, who was said to have died in Kano on Thursday last week for an undisclosed illness.

Investigations had it that he sneaked into the community, which hosts the Shiroro Hydropower Dam on Tuesday night after the three fidau prayers for his late boss.

Disturbed after hearing that Yunusa’s boss had died in Kano for an undisclosed illness, members of the community immediately alerted officials of the hydropower dam and the police.

He was subsequently invited for interrogation where he admitted that his boss died of COVID-19 related complications in Kano and decided to return home after the fidau prayers.

Yunusa also admitted that he drove his late boss all through the period of his treatment at a private hospital until his death last week Thursday.

Alarmed by this information, the state COVID-19 Task force, hurriedly dispatched an ambulance to Zumba to pick him up, and was driven straight to one of the isolation centres in Minna and his sample taken and sent to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Abuja, to ascertain his status.

The New Telegraph gathered that the Task force had commenced contact tracing for possible isolation of all his contacts since he arrived in the community to contain possible community spread of the virus.

Confirming the incident, Vice-Chairman of COVID-19 and Commissioner for Health and Hospital Management Services, Dr. Mohammed Makun Sidi said: “Yes we are aware of the case and he has been isolated from the community.

“He is in one of our isolation centres in Minna. We have equally taken his sample and sent it to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in Abuja to ascertain his status”.